You might have seen kinesiology tape worn by Olympic or professional athletes. Is it right for you? This flexible tape can help to reduce pain, decrease swelling and improve muscle performance and function.
What is Kinesio® Tape?
Lifestyle Health carries and uses Kinesio® Tape, also called Kinesio® Tex Tape, which is the original elastic adhesive tape developed by Dr. Kenzo Kase in 1979. Kinesio® Tape is a therapeutic tape that is thin, stretchy and designed to promote movement as opposed to immobilizing an injured or strained region of the body. Kinesio® Tape is latex-free, hypoallergenic and wearable for days at a time.
What does Kinesio® Taping do?
Kinesio® taping comes in several different forms. The Kinesio® Taping Method, which is used at Lifestyle Health, can help to reduce pain and inflammation, relax overused or tired muscles, support muscles in movement on a 24-hour-a-day basis, and much more. It is not restrictive, and it allows for full range of motion. Kinesio® Tape is designed to mimic the same thickness and elasticity as human skin, which makes it comfortable to wear and provides a constant healing “touch.”
Kinesio® Tape comes in multiple types and colors for different applications. The cost of the tape varies. The application will determine which type of tape is right for you and the color is purely aesthetic and does not affect outcomes.
Ask how Kinesio® Tape can help you today!
- WHAT CONDITIONS CAN IT HELP
Kinesio® tape can assist in the treatment goals for many conditions, including:
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Shoulder impingement/subluxation
- Rotator cuff tear
- Tennis/golfer’s elbow
- Shin splints
- Low back pain/strain
- Sprained ankle
- Muscle cramps
- Plantar fasciitis
- Pregnancy related back pain
- Scar tissue
- Many more!
- HOW MUCH DOES IT COST
Initial Kinesio® Taping assessment and application: $40.00
This 30-minute appointment utilizes manual direction testing for muscles and tissues to determine the correct course of action for applying the tape. The appointment includes the tape with your choice of color. Because the method of taping is the most important factor in determining results, this assessment is the most beneficial.
Follow-up Kinesio® Taping application with clinic tape: $25.00
This 15-minute appointment follows up the initial assessment and application. This appointment is either to re-apply the tape for continued benefits, or to make minor adjustments to the initial application to provide better relief. The application includes the tape with your choice of color. Follow-up applications can be utilized as often as needed for the same condition.
Follow-up Kinesio® Taping application with patient tape: $15.00
This 15-minute appointment follows up the initial assessment and application. This appointment is the same as the follow-up with clinic tape, except the patient can purchase his or her own Kinesio® Tape from the Lifestyle Health store. After multiple applications, this appointment becomes the most cost-efficient way to continue your results. You can choose your own color of tape.
Massage add-on application: $10.00
If you plan to schedule a massage, this appointment will take place during the last 15 minutes of your massage session. This application includes the tape with your choice of color. This type of application is a good way to try out the tape at a low cost. Please note that this cost is in addition to the cost of your massage.
- HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR KINESIOLOGY TAPING SESSION
- First, know the area that you want taped and dress appropriately. Wear loose fitting clothing that allows easy access to the area. For neck, shoulders and back, wear a tank top or sportswear. For legs, wear shorts or something loose such as sweat pants. You will not need to undress for the taping unless the area is difficult to reach or if the clothing is too restrictive, in which case we will use massage style draping.
- Next, make sure your skin is clean, dry, and free of any oils or lotions. Kinesio® Tape is latex-free, hypoallergenic and wearable for days at a time. However, the tape may peel off early if excess oil, sweat, lotion or body hair is present.
- Lastly, let your provider know of any allergic reactions to adhesives, or if your skin is particularly sensitive. Kinesio® Tape’s adhesive is safe for most populations, but if you’ve had reactions to adhesives in the past, it’s possible your skin may be irritated by the tape.
- Kinesio® Tape comes in several different varieties, some of which are designed for sensitive skin. To be sure you will not have irritation, we can apply a small test patch to see if the skin has a reaction.
- HOW LONG CAN I WEAR THE TAPE?
Most applications can be worn from 3-5 days, even through showering, swimming or intense exercise.
Kinesio® tape comes in rolls, precut strips and precut applications for specific parts of the body, making application by the provider and the patient very simple.
- HOW IS KINESIO® TAPE APPLIED?
Kinesio® tape is applied over and around muscles, ligaments, tendons and other fibrous tissues.
Kinesio® tape mechanically supports joints such as the shoulder, knee or wrist and/or can activate the lymph system to move fluid. In addition to the direction and body area of the taping, the main distinction in application involves the amount of stretch applied to the tape by the provider.
Very simply, the stretching of the tape, whether it is the amount or direction, significantly impacts the desired taping effect.
- HOW DO I CARE FOR MY KINESIOLOGY TAPE?
- Kinesio® Tape is designed to be worn for multiple days, but if the tape is irritating your skin or becomes painful, remove immediately.
- Keep in mind that heat activates the adhesive on the tape. Avoid using heat sources on the tape such as: heating pad, sauna, hot tub, blow dryers or infrared modalities.
- The tape is water resistant so shower as you normally would, just avoid excessive scrubbing over the tape itself, and pat dry.
- If the tape begins to peel slightly, you can use a scissor to trim the tape, or add a small piece of support tape to keep it from catching your clothing or peeling further.
- Leave the tape in place for up to 5 days (or as directed by your provider).
- HOW DO I REMOVE MY KINESIOLOGY TAPE?
- When it’s time to remove your tape, avoid using heat sources directly over the tape prior to removing.
- DO NOT rip off the tape quickly to avoid pain. It can cause significant skin irritation or blistering.
- The best way to remove the tape is to use a finger or hand to apply direct pressure over the tape, then gently peel one end up with the other hand and slowly remove the tape while continuing to apply pressure.
- If your skin shows irritation, you can apply a magnesium antacid (Milk of Magnesia), a topical antihistamine ointment (Benadryl gel), or essential oil(s) (lemongrass, eucalyptus, tea tree) over the affected area. Consult your provider if excessive pain is present or if irritation continues. Allow 1-2 days before re-applying for proper skin care.
For Appointments:Call Us: 320-534-3096 Request Appointment